Friday, March 11, 2011

Sweet Wheat Porridge, Yam Cake & a dancing video

This is a “tong sui” that me and my line dancing mates love to eat after our dancing session.  One of my dancing mates asked if I still have our old line dancing videos. She especially like the one that was taken by my son many years ago. He was only 15 years old then and he was crazy over making videos. He produced and edited it himself.   I remembered there was one part he fast forwarded on us and it was hilarious! LOL!  For an amateur, I think he did a pretty good job.  Last weekend, I was looking through all my old external hard drives and found it!  I wish to dedicate this post and the following two dishes to all my line dancing mates. Thanks for being such great friends.


I apologize for the poor quality because it was taken by a cheap video camera..hehe


I can never get enough of sweet wheat porridge.  When I was expecting my son, I crave for this porridge a lot.  Back then, I do not know how to cook except to fry an egg and cook rice so I buy this from the “tong sui” store.  I am so glad I know how to make this myself now and whenever I crave for a bowl I just do it. What goes very well with this is yam cake.  Yes, I love yam cake especially those that one of my mum’s best friend made.  Although my yam cake is not as good as hers, my mum said it is better than those we buy from the store. “Boleh tahan lah” (can do).  So here are the recipes.

Sweet Wheat Porridge
Largely adapted from Asian recipes


Ingredients: 

200 gm wheat pearls
1 litre water
2 pandan leaves (shredded and tie into knot)
200 ml thick coconut milk
200 gm palm sugar
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp corn starch,
2 tbsp water

Method:

Wash wheat pearls water until water is clear. Soak for half an hour. Add water and pandan leaves to pot and bring to boil. Add wheat pearls and let boil for 5 mins.  Lower the heat and simmer for 30 mins until wheat pearls are soft. Add coconut milk, sugar and salt and bring it a quick boil. Dissolve corn starch in water and stir into pot to thicken the porridge.  Serve warm.

This is the first time I attempt making yam cake and I did not expect it to turn out so well.  I am very happy with the result and here I share with you the recipe I used. Serve this with a bowl of “tong sui” and it will never go wrong. I had this with sweet wheat porridge. Try it!

Yam Cake
Largely adapted from Madam Kwong’s Kitchen


Ingredients:


250 grams rice flour

125 grams wheat flour (Tung Meen Fun)

2 ½ cups warm water
250 grams yam (steam till cooked)

¾ tbsp salt,
1 tbsp rock sugar
1 tsp ground white pepper,
1 tsp Chinese 5 spices powder

Ingredients for garnishing:

50 grams of fried shallots

4 stalks spring onion, diced
1 ½ tbsp vegetable oil
1 ½ tbsp chopped garlic
1 ½ cup choy poh finely chopped
120 grams dried prawns
1 ½  tbsp sugar

Method to prepare the garnish:

Heat vegetable oil in wok and sauté garlic till fragrant.  Add dried shrimps and stir fry for 3 mins. Add choy po and stir fry till shrimps is slightly brown. Add sugar and stir fry for another 3 mins and set aside.

Method of preparing the yam cake:

In a big bowl, mix the rice flour, wheat flour and add in the warm water. Add in salt, rock sugar, garlic oil, white pepper and Chinese 5 spices powder.  Add in the steamed yam and mix with all the ingredients thoroughly. Oil a stainless steel deep round plate (22″ in diameter) before adding the mixture. Steam for 45 minutes in high heat. Top with prepared garnish.  Let yam cake completely cool before cutting.

22 comments:

  1. your video was delightful, and as always the recipes make me drool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You can dance beautifully...**whistle*
    Love your post today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, you can dance gracefully! I like the wheat porridge tong sui too ... a reminder that I haven't had this for a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The video turned out wonderful! Kudos to your son and you all are excellent dancers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. woot woot! somebody sure can dance :-D. that WAS pretty good editing for a 15 year old. great job on your son's part and definitely your part too ;-). two tong sui and two yam cakes for me please. no, i'm not pregnant, i just luvtoeat....teehee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. * smiling...Veronica..love that video Nick took. I can see you really enjoyed yourself :) You got a sexy body and you can dance gracefully too :p

    thanks for sharing the tong sui recipe and yam cake...salivating now and thanks also for the otak otak recipe that we have all been waiting for :) Thanks :) *hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, good to eat the yam with tong sui....nice. Thks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute video and great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice video.

    I have tired making Yam cake twice in my life. 1st attempt was too watery. 2nd attempt the Yam cake was as hard as rock. Hopefully 3rd time lucky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Veron, is this call in Cantonese "mark cuk"? Aiyoh, look at these, both look so delicious! when i can see you dance?hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  11. David: Thank you so much for your support.

    Ann, Cheah: Thanks. Dancing is my first passion, when I dance, I am in the happiest place.

    Bridgett: Thanks, I will pass your compliment to Nick and my dancing mates. I am sure they will be happy to hear it.

    LeQuan: If you are staying nearby I will send you one whole pot of tong sui and a full tray of yam cake. When I was a little girl, my dream was to become a dancer.

    Elin: Don't mention, it brings joy to me to share. Oh yes, I always enjoy myself when I dance. haha that sexy body you saw was 8 years ago, now is not so sexy anymore.

    Pete: You are welcome. I enjoy the combination very much.

    yummychunklet: Thanks.

    Small Kucing: Thanks and I am sure you will get it the third time.

    Sonia: Exactly, it is mak chuk. Can can, one of these days I will dance for you all:D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I loved the video Quay Po! So cute! And both of these dishes sound super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you can dance and groove too! i can see that it's such a big group there, must be so much fun! mak chuk and the black glutinuos rice are my fav tong sui! I do make mak chuk sometimes but it's not the real mak chuk, i made them from oats and sometimes my family cant tell the difference, haha! and your yam cake looks delish with the generous topping!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your video looks nice, good dancers. Yam cake and sweet wheat porridge looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you're such a good dancer! i'm having a porridge frenzy recently, craving for warm porridge during lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh.. it's mak chuk?.. it's yummy with yau char kuai too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Peggy: Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated.

    lena: Thanks and I like the black glutinous rice one too.

    Swathi: You always leave encouraging words, many thanks for your support.

    Jean: Porridge is good when you want a light lunch.

    Swee San: you are right, with "ma geok" also very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice video..I love watching line dancing, there's a group of them at our garden here who perform every morning:) All the men stood and stare with mouths open lol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all kind of dances but love belly dancing the most. Very sensuous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The yam cake look delicious with huge chunks of yams. hmmmm! ive only made the radish version before but love eating the yam version much more!

    what a dancer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My mum used to make me that tong sui and it's my favourite! I like to drink it really cold with lots of ice. She never taught me the recipe so thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Vivienne: thanks for your visit and take time ton leave your comment. Me too, I love the radish version ver much. Now that you said so, I need to make it soon.

    Eugene: you are most welcome. I am always happy to share. Look forward to see your post after u make it. Have wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!