Thursday, June 7, 2012

A guest post from Alan of Travellingfoodies

When I first started blogging two years ago, I only had a point and shoot camera. I did know anything about photography and how to take good food photos. Alan's blog, Travellingfoodies inspired me to learn to take good photos. You will understand why I said that when you read on and see those fabulous photos of the dessert taken by Alan for this guest post. I feel so honored that he agreed to do this for me. I can assure you will not only be bewitched by his photos but also by his style of writing. I always wish I could write like him and my photos will attain the same standard someday. Whenever I visits his blog, I will always learn something new on dessert and pastry making from him. If you did not get enough from this post from Alan, hop over to his blog and I am sure you will enjoy your time there. If you love baking, I am confident that you will be back there again for more valuable tips from him. Now don't blink your eyes for the fabulous dessert he shared here with us today. (drrrrummmm rrrroll)

**************
DSC_7769 s
This is a guest post at Veronica's blog "Quay Po Cooks" whom I got to know through the numerous Aspiring Bakers bakealongs. From a fellow blogger to a friend, this lady beams with so much postive aura and sunshine, it is infectious! I love reading her blog, where every recipe entails a story, heartwarming tales of her family and friends which often reminded us of our very own. Through the lines, she shares with us her moments of euphoria and sorrow, causing one to can't help but let out a giggle or shed a tear as we read along. Her words are often simple, yet enriched with much sincerity. In short, this woman writes from her heart. When Veronica invited me to do a guest post on her blog, I knew I couldn't say no. In fact, it would be such an honour, as a repayment in kind, for the very many wonderful reads. Thank you for letting us in your life. :)


I asked Veronica if she had any preference for the recipe and she indicated that she'd hoping for something sweet, since pastry is my forte. I am flattered but surely sweetness cannot be the only dimension presented, especially for a woman who has led such a colorful life, After much deliberation, I'd decided to share with all of you a recipe which I feel aptly encapsulates the essence of all that Veronica's been through. Oh yes, if you have gone through her blog like I did, you would know that this woman has gone through quite a bit over the years. Read on and you would know why...


DSC_7787 s
Moelleux Chocolat Framboise is a petit four sec, in summary a dainty french baked tea cake most noted for its soft and fluffy textures. It is a classic french confection and the recipe I'm using is by the renowned Japanese patissier 川村英樹 Hideki Kawamura who gained international recognition and acclaim after winning the prestigious World Pastry Cup in France more than 20 years back. He is mostly known for his chocolate work, and thus a chocolate piece would have been most appropriate to sample his creations.
DSC_7845 s
The original recipe is made up of 2 components, a chocolate tea cake base, which would be filled with a pate de fruits framboise(raspberry jelly candy), and finally decorated with more pate de fruits framboise . I'd adapted his recipe slightly, retaining the cake base recipe, but replacing the pate de fruits with a homemade confiture de framboise (raspberry conserve) instead. Also fresh raspberries are used to embellish the final product. The modifications were made for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the original recipe has only two components with the pate de fruits framboise being used in two areas of the cake, which I found to be a bit "boring". I'd decided to "complicate" things a bit in hope to make it more interesting, through the use of fresh raspberries for decoration instead. Moreover, fresh fruit adds so much dimension to the cake in terms of flavour and aromatics, and raspberries being one of my favorites. Secondly, the mould for making pate de fruits framboise is not an everyday pastry commodity. So in attempt to make things "harder" with more components, the overall procedure has ironically become logistically simpler!
DSC_7779 s
Moelleux Chocolat Framboise モワルー ショコラ フランボワーズ (adapted from 川村英樹 Hideki Kawamura's Art de Bon Chocolat おいしいショコラは美しい)


for 18 individual tea cakes on a single oval with cavity silicon mould tray


Ingredients


Moelleux chocolat cake


190g marzipan (can use storebought or for the more adventurous, make your own!)


225g whole eggs (about 5 medium eggs or 4 large eggs)


30g bread flour


5.5g baking powder


110g 62% cacao chocolate couverture (I used Valrhona Caraibe)


55g unsalted butter


Confiture de framboise


165g fresh raspberries


210g caster sugar


juice of half a lemon (seeds also if possible)


Garniture


Fresh raspberries


Mint leaves
DSC_7742 s
Method


To prepare moelleux chocolat cake


Place marzipan in a large mixing bowl


Beat eggs and slowly mix into the marzipan over a few additions until well amalgamated. It helps to use your hands to "knead" in the egg mixture initially. When the marzipan has homogenize into the egg mixture, switch to  a hand whisk and continue mixing.


Heat the mixture over a bain marie until 50 C


When the temperature has reached 50C, whisk the mixture with handheld or stand mixer until pale and fluffy. It should have the consistency of thickened cream. This process requires patience as it could easily take up 5-8 min to acheive the desired consistency.


Fold in sifted bread flour and baking powder over 3-4 additions. Set aside.


Melt chopped couverture chocolate and butter over a bain marie and add a small quantity of the batter mixture into chocolate mixture to emulsify and lighten the chocolate mixture.


Pour emulsified chocolate mixture back over batter and fold in until well incorporated.


Pipe into silicon mould until 80% full and bake at a preheated oven at 160C for 20 min.


Leave to cool complete before unmoulding.
collage 2
To prepare framboise confiture


Place raspberries in a metallic mixing bowl and add all the sugar. Mix well, ensuring that every raspberry is well coated with sugar granules. Leave aside for the berries to macerate. Stir the mixture every 5 minutes or so. The finished product should have developed a pulp-like, mushy consistency


Heat raspberry pulp over a bain marie or in a microwave until 65C, stirring constantly


After a while, the consistency thickens to be like heated jam.


Add lemon juice and mix well to incorporate. If lemon pips are available, add in as well. Perform the " plate streak test" to check if the jam has begun to set. The viscosity of the confiture very much depends on the natural pectin released by the raspberry pips as well as seeds from the lemon. If the confiture is too runny or fails to set well, mix 10g of caster with 3-4g of pectin powder and stir in quickly.


Once the confiture is ready, i.e. of the right consistency, press the cooked jam through a sieve to filter away most of the raspberry pips, as well as lemon seeds.


To assemble, pipe, or simply dollop a teaspoon of the raspberry confiture over the cavity of the baked moelleux tea cakes.


Leave for conifture to cool and set.


Garnish with fresh raspberries and mint leaves.
collage 1
I love this recipe because of the complexity of flavours which are packed in these bitesize morsels. Sweetness from the jam constrasts with the sharp and tart flavours of the fresh raspberries, as well as the slight bitterness from the dark chocolate. Chocolate noir used adds depth to the richness of the teacake while the aromatics are played through the fresh raspberries which also provided a refreshing touch. So use the freshest raspberries you can find! In retrospect, the flavour profile is basically an uncanny reflection of our lives isn't it? So even more so for Veronica's!
DSC_7853 s
The teacake is to be eaten in two bites, and hence the two raspberries used to top. So each bite would include a bit of cake, a bit of jam and finally a raspberry, allowing all the flavours to intermingle and layered out for a truly multi-faceted experience!


You doesn't have to go out and buy a silicon mould with cavities just to make this recipe. A brownie tin would do just fine. Simply cut into fingerfood size pieces and dollop the raspberry jam on top of it followed by the fresh raspberries. But the mould would be useful for a range of small bakes, and the cavity can be filled with a range of stuff, from ganache, to creamcheese, sabayon mousse etc.


The recipe for confiture du framboise makes more than enough jam for the teacakes. Unlike the traditional jam-making methods, no water was added at all. The berries were basically macerated in their own juices which were drawn out by the sugar. Richer flavours guaranteed! The rest of the raspberry confiture can be bottled and refrigerated, to be enjoyed with scones and Devonshire clotted cream!


Hope you guys enjoy the recipe!
DSC_7813 s

46 comments:

  1. Hi Quaypo
    Those photos really look amazing though the framboise and the raspberries does capture my eyes but taking good shots does makes a lot of difference in it. It makes it look so real to our eyes, isn't it? So tempting and craving to have one of it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Veronica-such a wonderful guest post from Alan, with the adorable tea cakes! Just love the jam, and the beautiful decoration, so bright and colorful.
    Nice to meet you Alan, you also have a beautiful blog with amazing recipes!

    Thank you so much for the sweet fridge magnet gift Veronica. I just received it today. It is so pretty with the stylish dress from Malaysia...absolutely love it, and will always think of you when I see it on my fridge! The card is very, very nice, too! I will take photo and post it on my blog! H
    ope you're having a great time on you vacation...hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so happy to hear that you received the fridge magnet and you like it. Hugs

      Delete
  3. It's such an elegant looking pastry! I must try out your recipe, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nataly, thus is not my recipe. This my friend, Alan's recipe:D I wish I can do something as exquisite as this someday.

      Delete
  4. Such a fabulous guest post ! These tea cake looks absolutely divine !

    ReplyDelete
  5. That certainly looks nice. So very colourful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the look of this dessert. I wish I can taste it someday.

      Delete
  6. oh gosh..this is out of the world.. can see but cannot touch!! lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, if I can make this someday, I will let you sample some.

      Delete
  7. Quay Po lovely dessert. I like the solicon cake mould. I never taste rasberries before. I wish to find some at Taiping area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can get raspberries in KL but they are way too expensive.

      Delete
  8. I'll finish all the raspberries :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went picked my own raspberries last week. It was so much fun.

      Delete
  9. Oooo....those photos are stunning and of coz, the cakes looks incredibly seducing as well. Veron, you're so right about Alan. Thanks so much for sharing it.
    Hope you guys are having a lovely evening.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristy, OOOO indeed! That is still my reaction whenever I visits Alan's blog.

      Delete
  10. mmm these are to die for.

    Lately very hot weather. Got any cooling recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me? Due and gone to heaven already. Lol! The weather here is so nice. Cool in the day and cold at night. Cooling recipe? Make your own ice kacang. Hehe

      Delete
  11. The photos are really really beautiful. The food looks delicious too =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very sure the dessert taste as good as it looks. I have yet to sample some of Alan's desserts. Hint! Hint!

      Delete
  12. My goodness, that looks delicious. The images are incredible. I feel I should go get a fork and reach through my monitor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh No! Don't break your monitor screen! Lol! , Lois, are you home or are you on a cruise again? Xoxo

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Berries are crowd. I have come across anyone who said they don't like.

      Delete
  14. Wah.. so nice of Alan.
    Die.. mine seems so dull compared to his.
    Hide my face when mine comes out. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, we all are good in our own ways. There is just no comparison between an apple and an orange:D

      Delete
    2. huurh! dont play play with alan..can cook, bake, write, photographing...where to find men like that, huh? LOL!!

      Delete
  15. These are the most beautiful moelleux I have ever seen. A double raspberry texture is a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sissi not that I have seen or tasted moelleux but these little treats are very colorful and pretty.

      Delete
  16. Those are delicious treat, Alan's photo eye catching as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you ladies for all these wonderful comments, and of course our lovely Quay Po for the wonderful opportunity to guest post over here. Such an honour!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's not Lucy, it's not Quay Po, it's Alan today! Took me a while to adjust my mind that Veronica is your real name, pia seh! Have to pop over to Alan's blog later!

    I love all kinds of summer berries & this dessert look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie, you going to have a feast for your eyes in Alan's blog. Enjoy!

      Delete
  19. Holy Cow!! This is such a fantastic guest post ... my head is reeling ... in a good way :)
    What lovely pics! I can only drool over this. I doubt I'd dare to attempt this complicated and fancy sounding masterpiece!
    Nice to meet you, Alan. You're right. This is an apt dessert for a very sweet lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ping. Enjoyed reading your post this morning.

      Delete
  20. That recipe sounds amazing. I still have a camera that is point and shoot!!! Have a great weekend Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, would you try this recipe? As for me, I would love to but looks like it is too much for me to handle. Oh did you shoot this fabulous pics in your blog with the point and shoot camera? Have a wonderful week end.

      Delete
  21. I don't even have a camera...aside from my iPhone. :)

    This looks amazing!! I hope you are having a great weekend so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you took all those photos in your blog with your iphone? I am impressed.

      Delete
  22. woaaa... such a pretty cake! I agree, Alan is a great writer and photographer, but honestly Quay Po, you are too!
    have a great holiday :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!