Friday, June 15, 2012

A guest post from Elisabeth of Food and Thrift

Elisabeth, my dear friend, whom I have not met in person, but have been friends with since I started blogging in mid 2010 is doing a guest post for me today. It is a great feeling to have a friend's presence in my blog. She is one of the first to leave a comment on my blog and be a follower. That means a lot to me and I will always be grateful for her frequent visits and leaving encouraging words on my posts. Elisabeth is a great friend and I will not trade her for all the Bling Bling in the world. To me, friendships and readerships are keeping Quay Po Cooks around. She is definitely is one of my friends cum readers who is instrumental in keeping this blog alive and kicking.


Here is one of my favorite cakes From Elisabeth of Food and Thrift. Enjoy!
 

I am honored to be guest posting for my dear friend... Veronica, of Quay Po Cooks food blog...which is a very diverse kind of a blog that you would want to see. It always starts with Veronica's stories from friends she has met, or of a fabulous restaurant and talented chef review, or her lessons with the famous chef's, making delicious cakes. She always speaks highly of everyone, has an abundance love for her family. A very lovely, and talented person. The "Lucy" version, is a little hard for me to get, because I don't think she messes things up, or get into trouble with her sweet Western husband...that would have to say..."Lucy, dju got some splaining to do!"...on the contrary, he puts Veronica on the "pedestal"...even when she gets her Lucy "moments"
 
At any rate, I honestly think she has a darn good sense, and always has everything in their proper order. I met Veronica, shortly after I started my blog, a few months later... and has kept in touch, since than. She always mentions how much I helped her with advice, which I appreciate so much but honestly, we all need advice, and occasional help from friends. That's what friends are for...( a line from a song, which I can't remember right now)

 Thank you Veronica, for giving me the opportunity, to guest post...while  you are vacationing in beautiful California, USA!
New York Cheesecake
adapted from : Joy of Baking






Crust:
 
2 cups (200 grams) of graham wafer crumbs or finely crushed vanilla wafers or gingersnaps (process whole cookies in a food processor until they are crumbs)

1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar

1/2 cup (114 grams) unsalted butter, melted

Filling:

32 ounces (1 kg) (4 - 8 ounces packages) cream cheese, room temperature (use full fat, not reduced or fat free cream cheese)

1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar

3 tablespoons (35 grams) all purpose flour

5 large eggs, room temperature

1/3 cup (80 ml) heavy whipping cream

1 tablespoon lemon zest

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Topping:

1 cup (240 ml) sour cream (not low fat or fat free)

2 tablespoons (30 grams) granulated white sugar

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Tips:  Sometimes the surface of the cheesecake cracks.  To help prevent this from happening do not over beat the batter, especially when creaming the cheese and sugar. 

Another reason for cracking is overbaking the cheesecake.  Your cheesecake is done when it is firm but the middle may still look a little wet. 

Also, make sure the springform pan is well greased as cracking can occur if the cheesecake sticks to the sides as it cools.

Method:
Grease, or spray with Pam, a 9 inch (23 cm) springform pan.  Place the springform pan on a larger baking pan to catch any leakage while the cheesecake is baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) with rack in center of oven.

For Crust:
In a medium sized bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter.  Press the crumbs evenly over the bottom and about 1 inch (2.5 cm) up the sides of the springform pan.  Cover and refrigerate while you make the filling.

For Filling:
In bowl of your electric mixer place the cream cheese, sugar, and flour.  Beat on medium speed until smooth (about 2 minutes), scraping down the bowl as needed.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well (about 30 seconds) after each addition.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the whipping cream, lemon zest, vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.  Remove the crust from the refrigerator and pour in the filling.  Place the cheesecake pan on a larger baking pan and place in the oven.

Bake for 15 minutes and then lower the oven temperature to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) and continue to bake for about another 1 1/2 hours or until firm and only the center of the cheesecake looks a little wet and wobbly.  Remove from oven and place on a wire rack.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the sour cream, sugar, and vanilla extract.  Spread the topping over the warm cheesecake and return to oven to bake for 15 more minutes.  Remove from oven and carefully run a knife or spatula around the inside edge of pan
to loosen the cheesecake (helps prevent the surface from cracking as it cools).

Let cool before covering with plastic wrap and refrigerating.  This cheesecake tastes best after being refrigerated for at least a day.
Serve with fresh fruit or fruit sauces.
Makes one - 9 inch (23 cm) cheesecake.


66 comments:

  1. cheese cake looks awesome love the color. Yes Elisabeth and you are awesome bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great with all the juicy strawberries!
    But the list or link to ingredients is missing... :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for pointing out the missing link. My apology:D

      Delete
  3. WOW, Looks heavenly GOOOOOOOOOOD :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavenly is the right word to describe how yummy this cake must be.

      Delete
  4. Ok, this one, I'd pass. Not into cheesecakes - not since I had an overdose of it at one time... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can appreciate that it is not a nice feeling when you over eat cheese cake.

      Delete
  5. Mmmmmm This cheesecake looks utterly delicious ! The strawberry topping itself looks
    so gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those strawberries looks so lovely on the cake. How can anybody resist wanting a piece.

      Delete
  6. Elisabeth is a very sweet blogger friend. I have enjoyed your cheesecakes and your posts. Thank you Veronica and Elisabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mari and for dropping by and leave your comment. Hope to see you around.

      Delete
  7. Slurp.........!! Such a beautiful cheesecake and with my favourites fruits, strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not have New York Cheese cake with strawberries toppings before. Brilliant!

      Delete
  8. This one's a keeper. Would love to have a slice right now :D.
    Elisabeth's great and simply adore both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Veronica-Just noticed, you put up the ingredients listing...LOL...we're both are having 'Lucy moments'...anyway, I tried to upload the photo of the adorable cute magnet you sent me, but it didn't work out, since I'm using my daughter's computer (staying here, doggie watching)...will try, tomorrow!

    Thanks for the opportunity to guest post for your beautiful blog...you did an amazing job of my photos, the way you uploaded them. I still have a few to upload!
    I am so thrilled, and honored to do this guest post for you...it's been so much fun! The time difference really confused both of us, but at least we got it together!
    Love you lots, and big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth, the honor is mine to have your footprint here. Oh ya we made it and got the post published ALMOST the same time. This is so much fun. I read you post already.. I just could not stop laughing. I am VERY happy that there are more and more members joining the "Lucy Club" LOL! Love you lots too LUCY!!

      Delete
  10. That looks awesome! Love the colours and the juicy strawberries! Just give me a slice and I'll be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Strawberry cheesecake...it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a gorgeous cake. More beautiful than some of the store bought ones. They will never be so generous with the strawberries for sure.

      Delete
  12. This strawberry cheesecake is so beautiful done. I am hunger for 1 piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yan, you sure one piece enough? I am more thick skin, I will as for the whole cake. LOL!

      Delete
  13. Yummy...such a beautiful strawberry cheesecake. My favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Elisabeth, nice to meet you here! You know sometimes we feel happy when looking at a dish that we've made, this is certainly one of them! Beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie, you are right, this will be turn a frowning face upside down.

      Delete
  15. A visually stunning cake. Its beautiful and I bet it is sinfully delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it is. Can't wait to try this recipe.

      Delete
  16. I hope you (Veronica) are enjoying your California vacation. Elisabeth certainly outdid herself with this guest post. What a gorgeous looking cheesecake and so beautifully photographed. Paula @ VanillaBeanBaker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed my trip very much, more so when I have good friends blogsit for me.

      Delete
  17. QuayPo, that is what I call a Sweet Temptation! Your friend Elisabeth is really something..... hmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for what I think, is a compliment...ha, ha, ...a hmmmm? wonder if that's good! Will check out your blog now!

      Delete
    2. Elisabeth...my hmmmmmm is certainly a Compliment! Speechless.... dont know what to say cos I can only droooool.... :)

      Delete
    3. Claire, I know what you hmmm means but to a Westerners, it might mean something else. I remember when I "hmmmm" my Quay Lo when we first met, I got the same respond from him like Elisabeth's. LOL! "HMMMM"

      Delete
  18. I love all different kinds of cheesecakes, and this one looks extremely delicious with gorgeous strawberry topping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I am a cheesecake nut but New York Cheese cake is still my favorite.

      Delete
  19. Wow, looks amazing Elisabeth! I'm certain I could polish this off one all by myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane, for commenting on Veronica's blog...as well! I finally finished posting the rest of the post, that I missed...Lucy will be my middle name, next!

      Delete
    2. Jane, thanks for dropping by. I guess if I am there, you might not have polish up the cake by yourself. hehe
      Elisabeth, I think your new name sounds really good!! LOL! XOXO

      Delete
  20. Elisabeth,
    Such a gorgeous cheesecake, with all of that wonderful strawberry topping.

    Veronica,
    You had a great guest blogger, while you were on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, it is so nice to see you again. Yes, Elisabeth is a great blogger and a dear friend. It is so nice of her to do this for me while I enjoy myself in California.

      Delete
  21. oh yum! this looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe this will be as delicious as it looks. This recipe is a keeper.

      Delete
  22. This cheesecake is the best I've ever had;) Beautiful guest post from sweet Lizzy:)
    Veronica- enjoy your vacation and so nice you are so good to each other. Cherish your friendship and this gorgeous cheesecake!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lora, you mispelled my name...Lizzy, is the "skinny chick"...and I'm Lizzie, with the 'ie' as (in example)...no LIZZIE is how I spell my name! You're my daughter, you should know that by now!
      Thanks for your sweet comment...I know, both you and the other LIZZY are having the time of your lives...Lizzy, in PARIS, and you in COMO...leaving for Rome tomorrow, to visit an uncle! Wow! that's what I call a fab vacation...and I forgot, Veronica is having the time of her life, in sunny California...(but then, I'm still here in sunny S. Florida)...not such a bad place to live:DDD

      Delete
    2. Elisabeth, you and your daughter are so cute:D You both cracked me up. We are all having a great time! Life is good!

      Delete
  23. Elisabeth, what a sweet post for Veronica! Your cheesecake look beautiful! So many strawberries on top, too.

    Veronica, you are in California? Where? The weather has been gorgeous and I hope you are enjoying your stay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nami, my step daughter's house is in Moorpark. Yes, the weather is lovely. I enjoy my stay and had a great time catching up with family members.

      Delete
  24. qp, i just read about the 'nyonya dress' in elisabeth's blog.i think i might have the same thoughts as elisabeth thinking that you're sending a real dress! and i told eli about the wine charms that you sent me ,,thinking that was earrings!! haha!

    elisabeth, this is so beautiful and looks sensational with your strawberry toppings!i'm not good in making cheesecakes and i'll be jumping in joy if i can make one that looks like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, I remember those wine charms. Well if they look good on you, no harm wearing them as earrings. Start a a new trend my dear. Time to join the "Lucy Club" lah.

      Delete
  25. Oh, YUM!!! This is my kind of dessert :) I am suddenly craving cheesecake!

    I think Lizzie was the one who led me to your blog in the first place, Veronica...and now I'm a big fan of both of you!!! Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe there are many of my readers come to my blog through Elisabeth's blog and a few of my other blogger friends' blog. If I am not mistaken, I get to know about your blog through Elisabeth's too. It is great being friends and fans to each other. You must be having a ball in Paris.

      Delete
  26. That is one very delicious looking cheesecake! Love the strawberries toppings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, it truly is. The strawberries make it very special.

      Delete
  27. Came here from Elisabeth's blog. What a great place you have here. Cheesecake is beautiful, and I am sure very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marina, thanks for dropping by and your kind words. Please to meet you and hope to get to know you better.

      Delete
  28. This comment is from Ping of Ping's Picking which I accidentally deleted:

    Gorgeous cheesecake! I salivated back at Elisabeth, and now I'm doing it here as well. Looks like we have another member in our Lucy Club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ping, a thousand apology! You are right, there are more and more members in our Lucy Club. I told Lena to send in her application for the membership.

      Delete
  29. Hi, my daughter love New York cheesecake.
    Re-comfirm is baking direct go into oven, not using water bath?
    correct me if I wrong.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. soh, I believe you are right:D I see from the method above, there is no water bath.
      Eiisabeth, please confirm. Thanks

      Delete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!