Monday, June 11, 2012

Pasta Kerabu by Frozen Wings

The first friend that I approach to do a guest post for me was Lena of Frozen Wings. I am very grateful that she agreed to do this for me while I take a vacation back in USA to visit with our family there. For those who has not visited Lena's blog yet, you don't know what you have missed. There are so many yummy food photos and wonderful recipes, some are original and only Lena can come up with. For those who are a regular readers of her blog, I don't think I need to do much introduction, do I? Like me, you would have subscribed to her posts so that you will not even miss one.

Here is a guest post from Lena of Frozen Wings and after reading it, see if you can resist to not check her out.
 
**********

Hi, a happy day to all! I guess most of you are already aware that quay po is away on vacation and yet you guys are dropping by to read, so many thanks! I'm Lena and I blog at frozen wings. Just like many of you here, I'm also a keen  reader of quay po cooks but she knows that i'm always late to her blog and will try to catch up with her posts whenever i can. I enjoy reading her stories, see what she has been cooking and always feasting my eyes looking at all the beautiful food photos and of course it brings nourishment to my eyes too looking at those so called 'eye candies'! Arhahahaha! Quay po, thanks very much for inviting me to do a guest post for you.

When i first received the invitation from quay po , i was excited but on the other hand, i was feeling a little nervous too cos then i had to figure out what to cook..well, i think it's pretty normal to be at that state when you're cooking for someone's blog and not our own. At that time, i was actually had in mind of making Bee Hoon Kerabu ( Rice Vermicelli Salad) at my own blog so i thought maybe i can save that for later and make a Pasta Kerabu for the guest post. Kerabu is a mixture of vegetables in Malay language, i myself would also consider it as a salad and the use of ingredients in kerabu dishes are mainly favoured by the malays and also chinese such as lemongrass, shallots, torch gingerbud, lime juice to name a few. There is no heavy cooking required in this dish. After cooking the pasta, the rest is just mixing it in into the pasta..err..unless you think cooking the pasta is heavy job, then you can forget about making this dish. haha! No doubt the bee hoon  kerabu is more popular and common compared to a pasta kerabu, i thought i just want to make a little twist to the traditional ones just like some may like a fried spaghetti or a tom yum pasta. You can always use bee hoon if you do not prefer pasta.

By the way, i just received a text message from Quay Po saying that she may need to extend her vacation in the states, she's having a wonderful time in her cowgirl outfit riding horses and catching butterflies in the park with her quay lo and may need me to blogsit here for a little while..believe me? no? Have a good week, everyone!

This one is with sambal, the one at the back is without.




Recipe
Ingredients
150gms angel hair pasta
chicken breast meat 180gm or more, steamed and shredded ( reserve the stock)
2 torchginger bud, sliced thinly
4 pieces kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
7 onions, sliced
1 stem lemongrass, white parts only
1 small bunch of mint leaves
8-9 tbsp calamansi lime juice
1.5 tbsp fish sauce
hot chilli paste /sambal belachan/ chilli flakes - optional

Method:
1. Cook the angel pasta according to the packet instructions, drain and set aside.  I cooked mine for about 3-4 minutes.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the pasta with the rest of the ingredients and taste. You may want to add in more lime juice
if you prefer it to a little more sour and or additional fish sauce. If it's a little dry, you can add in the stock from the steamed chicken.
You can also save some sliced torch gingerbud, lemongrass and some onione for top garnishing.   

70 comments:

  1. I like angel hair pasta, very similar to mihun texture. And, it goes well with asian cooking recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow..so nice of Lena to "blogsit" while you are on vacation, QP... I think I better start looking for one blogsitter for my own blog so that it will not accumulating dust and cobwebs when I am away for a long vacation (if I ever do!)
    Have a nice holiday, QP.. come back "not fei fei but pak-pak." lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, yes Lena is a sweetheart. Well if you need blog sitter when you want to take a break, jjust ask. I am afraid I am fei fei already. Hehe

      Delete
  3. super yummy kerabu. ...

    Hmmm...looks like there is a market for blog sitter....can consider open one business for blog sitter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so fresh and inviting. So happy to see you here Lena :D. Love your pasta kerabu.
    Happy bloggysitting dear!
    Anuja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anuja, thanks for your visit. Hope to see you around.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I hope to get to taste so many of Lena's food. Lena, if your neighbor wants to sell their house, let me know. Hehe

      Delete
  6. sorry to tell that I still prefer my noodle in hot soupy version :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, dont have to say sorry. To be honest, a lot of times i also have my noodles in soup..fish ball noodles my favourite :)

      Delete
    2. Choi Yen, you are not alone. I am sure lots of Asian feel the same.

      Delete
  7. Quay Po , your blog sitter's offering looks simply delicious ! :D Love those different color and texture ! This is my kind of noodles ! ;) Lena , kindly pour some of that yumminess right off my screen ?! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, Lena is a creative cook. Some of the dishes she created took my breath away!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Tze, I am always delighted to see you here. Hope you are keeping well. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. This is quite a creative way to do pasta! :) Hi Lena btw. Hope you are enjoying yourself to the max in US, Quay Po.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out Lena's blog for more creative dishes. I am enjoying myself visiting with my family here and doing all the fun things that are not available in KL:D

      Delete
  10. Yum! Yum! This is definitely up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks mouthwatering!Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lena,
    Wow, I have never had pasta kerabu style before! Looks so yummy, can I have the plate with the chilli one, extra sambal belacan please!
    Hi Veronica,
    Hope you are having a great vacation in US! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joyce, for you..i'll make double spicy for you..but you hv to come to my place :D

      Delete
    2. Joyce, we sure can go makan makan together. I also want extra sambal belacan Lena.

      Delete
  13. Wow.. looks delicious.. and I have never seen this dish served here in Singapore. It's such a fusion dish, pasta with sambal chilli ~ both are my favourites ! Really hope I can get to try this dish one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, I have not seen this served in KL either. I am eager to try this recipe when I am back in KL.

      Delete
  14. Hi Lena! So nice to see you here! I love kerabu anything! And this looks deeeeelicious! Anytime I see a recipe without much cooking involved, I'm in .... altho I haven't been able to get myself to making kerabu meehoon since there's such a lot of slicing involved. Just waiting for someone to make it for me ... hint, hint :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks ping! make a small portion then less work involved :D

      Delete
    2. Ya man, lots of work involved. I if someone want to make again, I can wait till July. Lol!

      Delete
  15. Kerabu with pasta? Interesting. So far I've only seen tang hoon or glass noodles used - in Thai-style salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Lena always make clever twist to traditional dishes. You should try this and let me know how you like it.

      Delete
  16. Quay Po & Lena, I bet that the "ang mos" will be frowning when looking at the pasta but wait till they put this pasta into their mouth, they will surely show thumbs up! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. quay po is half angmo...hope she's not frowning now:D

      Delete
    2. Jessie, I don't think the angmos will frown. Most of them now are aware of fusion food. Lena, I am not frowning cos I am not even half angmo. I am a die hard China woman lah.

      Delete
  17. thanks everyone for your nice words on the pasta:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, nice to see you here Lena :) Interesting twist!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like angel hair.... Compare to the normal thick spaghetti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. infact now i cook more angel hair than spaghetti but i still love spaghetti.

      Delete
  20. hi Lena, this looks awesome! thks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, it is nice of you to come over to show your support to Lena.

      Delete
  21. Easy to prepare with minimal ingredients, I think I can manage this dish:D....looks real tempting too! Quaypo must be enjoying herself in US huh! Envy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, looks easy but actually involves lots of work. I am enjoying myself very much:D

      Delete
    2. jeannie, you can make acar..so this shouldnt be a problem to you :)

      Delete
  22. I just love to see 2 great bloggers in close partnership! :D I love all the recipes on both blogs, never fail to make me drool. This one looks SO good. I love angel hair. I would eat a big plate of this....mmm. Veronica, enjoy ur vacation. I'm sure we are going to hear lots of wonderful stories and pictures of mouth-watering food when you return. Have fun! MaryMoh at http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooops....my comment disappeared. It says 'service unavailable'...hmmm.
    Mmm....this pasta kerabu looks very delicious. I love angel hair. I can eat a big plate of this. Lena, I always love your food. Veronica, both of you are wonderful bloggers. Have fun on your vacation. Would love to see lots of pictures soon. I am fully prepared to drool...hehe. MaryMoh at http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, your comment was there:D. I am having fun and will tell you guys all about it when I get home.

      Delete
    2. thanks mary! such an honour to be here.

      quay po: i know you will hv lots to tell when you come back. Just to update you here on our weather, it's terribly hot..insanely hot..when you come back, i think you will miss the weather there.

      Delete
  24. I'm here to support Lena! :D

    Love this Nonya-Italian fusion dish. Knowing Lena, I know this is truly her authentic style of cooking. This is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Extending ur stay huh... haha, ride more horses!
    Yee-haw, yee-haw!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I want to go shooting again! Hehe looking forward to see you all in July.

      Delete
  26. Looks simply delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Veronica, Hi Lena-I already left a comment on you blog Lena...then, I got side-tracked and did not get to check out the amazing recipe for your delicious pasta. Absolutely love it!
    Such a great guest post, Veronica...Lena is another talented cook, and baker. Love all the things she makes.
    I know you are having the time of your life in sunny California, just enjoy with family, and have the best time of your life!
    Hugs, and kisses,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks elisabeth for your kind words. I'm happy to know you as well and i know i'll get to learn a lot from you thru your blog!

      Delete
  28. Hey Veron, enjoy your trip! Lena is doing fine here taking over your site. haha.... Lena, this kerabu version pasta sounds fantastically delish. Thanks for sharing it.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristy, I am enjoying myself. I will be happy for Lena to take over my site so that I can put up my legs and relax but then she must be "Lucy" like me. Lol!

      Delete
  29. Hi, Lena and Veron. Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe! I hope to whip up a batch or two of this once I've fully recovered from hand injury. Twelve years ago, a high school teacher used to like to treat us to kerabu rice vermicelli. I think I might go with rice vermicelli for my first try. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Pei-Lin. Hope your hand will heal quickly. Take care.

      Delete
  30. Oh, I missed this tempting post from Lena, now I salivate , hmm yummy ..

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!