Monday, March 11, 2013

He is not just a chef


It seems that the stereotype for accomplished chefs are that they are dictators and control freaks in their kitchens, charmers with the customers, and stoically dedicated and private about their creative processes. So I decided to say up front that that is not what I saw in Chef Robert Danhi. 


Chef Danhi is one of those people you feel instantly comfortable with. There is nothing about him that is pretentious, or aloof. On the contrary, he is a warm and personable man that you just like from the first. Yet, he is an accomplished writer, photographer, storyteller,  and teacher, and chef extrardinaire. So I urge you to know more about him and his journey into Asian food, so check out his website.

So now you must be wondering where did I met this awesome chef, yes? I met him at the Sunkist Growers Event last Wednesday. He was doing a cooking demo using Sunkist oranges and lemons.


I grew up with Sunkist oranges and lemons because my mum is a loyal Sunkist customer so I know their products well.


Chef Danhi was working with  two major types of oranges: 
Navels and Cara Cara, but there are many more varieties. Incidentallly, did you know that the bigger the navel on a navel orange, the sweeter it will be! My mum told me that and it is confirmed by the Orange facts from Sunkist. 
"Orange Facts:
There are two major types of oranges: Navels and Valencias,
but there are hundreds in  varieties

The bigger the navel on a navel orange, the sweeter it will be!

Oranges will not over ripen when left on a tree

One 5 gallon container of water = One carton of oranges (40 lbs)"

… but what I did not know was anything about their Cara Cara oranges which are also known as power oranges. I didn't even know they existed.

So here is what I learned about them.

Cara Cara Facts:
Cara Cara oranges are available from January through April

Cara Cara oranges are grown in California’s San Joaquin Valley

The Cara Cara orange has  a distinctive pinkish red interior with an exceptionally sweet flavor with a tangy cranberry-like zing

Cara Cara oranges have few to no seeds

Cara Cara oranges will stay fresh up to two weeks when refrigerated or up to 6 months frozen in an air tight container

Three medium sized Cara Cara oranges is equivalent in weight to a female guinea pig. I am not sure why this is important to know but maybe there is a Cara Cara Guinea Pig Stew? I hope not. LOL!

Cara Cara, also known as the Power Orange®, is an excellent source of Vitamins A and C, fiber, a good source of foliate and potassium, a natural source of lycopene

I am really glad I did not "take a rain check" on this invitation. If I had, I would have missed out on an awesome demo by Chef Robert Danhi and receiving a free copy of his award winning cookbook “Southeast Asian Flavors” (signed), as well as tasting the delicious food he cooked and free oranges and lemons to take home.



I am sure here is what you are waiting for. I loved it when I was told that I could share the recipes with you all.

This drink is so refreshing and tasty that I had three.


A simple to make but impressive and delicious appetizer. 




UMAMI!!


We had fun with this because we assemble our own parfait 
after Chef Danhi showed us how to do. This one is mine.
Are you proud of me? LOL!


28 comments:

  1. Hello,

    How exciting that you got to meet Chef Danhi and love all the recipes you're sharing here. :D Also, I would like to thank you for stopping by my blog a couple of days ago. Appreciate your support! Hope to see you again and more of this blog too. :D

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Chris. Hope to see you again too.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Quay Po this is so exciting, recipes using oranges and lemons! They must be very tasty. Must look put for the Cara Cara oranges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Cara Cara in season now, quickly go get it.

      Delete
  3. I love sunkist oranges and lemons too! Definitely love to try these recipes one day. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Ann, I am sure you will come up with a nice twist to these recipes.

      Delete
  4. Hi QP! Besides loaded with Vitamins, cooking with citrus provides the acid to balance the richness of many popular dishes... Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo...that sure looks good. I can imagine the taste of the roasted chicken. Drool!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roasted chicken is AWESOME! You must try this recipe.

      Delete
  6. I love oranges. Thanks for sharing the recipes, they all look and sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most Welcome, Thanks to Chef Danhi for being so generous as to let me share his recipes here.

      Delete
  7. Very interesting fact abt the navel... next time I look for big big navel for sweet sweet oranges!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like red oranges! Looks like ruby red grapefruit too, one of my other fav fruit apart from lemons. This sounds like a great event! Love the pairing of citrus with chicken and salmon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, you must try all the recipes above. Your Quay Lo will love you long time. hahaha

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful event! And, your images are incredible. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most welcome Lois. Thanks for the compliment on my photos.

      Delete
  10. This so exciting! I would love to attend such an event! Thank you for all the info and sharing the recipes with us I've bookmarked this to print. Have a beautiful day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you are so lucky, meeting Chef Robert Danhi! I have been eyeing one of his books for quite a while now, on Thai cooking!
    Thanks for sharing those recipes, they sure look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His Thai cooking cook book looks really good. I will look into it very soon.

      Delete
  12. That's very informative, didn't know have such a wide variety of oranges! and you parfait looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment on my parfait. I am proud of it. LOL!

      Delete
  13. can't wait to try out some of these recipes!! Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Sonia. I was looking forward to see you. So sorry you missed this event.

      Delete
  14. Looks like a great demonstration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh YES!! one of the best cooking demo I have ever attended. Chef Danhi has star quality and I mean it when I said he is not just a chef:)

      Delete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!